Smart Policies for Texas
- Our public school finance system is broken. I'll work in a bipartisan manner to replace the so-called "Robin Hood" school finance system with a more fair and equitable program.
- With changes to "No Child Left Behind", the next legislature will be tasked with revising state laws and setting a high bar for all schools. I will bring my experience in education to stand up for teachers and fight vouchers that threaten rural and urban school districts.
- 98% of Texas farms and ranches are family-owned. We need to protect Texas agribusinesses and provide them with the tools to succeed in a competitive world marketplace.
- Many farmers and ranchers are unable to download this website because of a slow internet connection. I'll work to speed up efforts by the Texas Department of Agriculture to enhance internet connections across Senate District 24.
- Last year, Texas exported over $7 billion in agriculture goods through 44,000 jobs statewide. I'll work to protect our agribusinesses with smart policies that provide fair wages with benefits.
- In 2011, my hometown of Llano sustained a water emergency: our wells ran dry. I'll work to make sure our Texas communities have upgraded water supplies.
- We need to focus on the future and seek funding to provide our Texas communities with the ability to provide so-called "Purple Pipe" to provide non-potable water for irrigation purposes.
- More than 5 million Texans – including over 784,000 children – are uninsured. We can no longer in good conscience deny access to affordable health care for Texans. I'll work to dispel myths and fix our draconian health care system.
- We're losing rural Texas hospitals and clinics due to a lack of funding and support by our legislature. I will work to promote a "Health Texas" program that includes private-public partnerships to expand pre-hospital EMS training and bolster critical access hospitals across the Texas.
- I'll work to support our Law Enforcement officers by providing more grants to implement body cameras, implement inter-operable communication systems, and provide better access to critical training programs for active shooter situations.
- Our Governor's Division of Emergency Management needs better tools to assist our Texas communities with alerting the public about impending and in-progress emergencies. I'll work to provide better funding for Reverse 911 systems and update outdoor warning systems to save lives.
- I unequivocally supports Texans’ Second Amendment rights to keep and bear arms.